To graduate, you must take the FE Exam your senior year – during your last two semesters.
You will receive a P grade in EGEN 488 once you have taken the exam. You do not have to pass the FE Exam to get a P-grade for the class. You just have to take the FE and make a good effort.
Registering for the Exam
- Register any time, up to one year in advance, for an exam appointment during the scheduled windows at any testing center.
- You will choose a test center and schedule a time when you register
- Cost will be $225.00 to register through NCEES
- For more information and registration go to: http://ncees.org/exams/fe-exam/
- You must also register for EGEN 488 the same semester you take the exam. You should take the FE Exam (and EGEN 488) one of your last two semesters.
|If you take the FE during:
||You should register for EGEN 488:|
|Jan-Feb; April-May||Spring 2014 semester|
|July-August; October-November||Fall 2014 semester|
Exam Dates, Times, and Places
- The FE Exam can be taken on computer at any Pearson Vue Test Center – MSU currently is a Pearson Vue Test site with 10 stations in the MSU library basement, Room 19, (other test centers are in Helena, Billings, Missoula, etc.)
- The MSU Test Center will be open Monday – Friday, 8:30am-5:00pm
- The exam is available at any time during the 4 exam periods, or windows: Jan-Feb; April-May; July-August; October-November
- You can retake the exam up to 3 times in a 12 month period, but only once in the 2 month windows listed above
- The computer-based FE Exam takes approximately 6 hours - 110 questions - with a scheduled 25 minute break in the middle (based on completion, not time) 7 free standing exams: Chemical, Civil, Electrical and Computer, Environmental, Industrial, Mechanical, and Other Disciplines.
- Please take the exam appropriate to your major.
- Industrial Engineering students must take the Industrial Engineering specific exam. For a list of the subjects covered go to http://cdn3.ncees.co/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/FE-Ind-CBT-specs_with-ranges.pdf.
- Mechanical Engineering students must take the Mechanical Engineering specific exam. For a list of the subjects covered go to http://cdn3.ncees.co/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/FE-Mec-CBT-specs_with-ranges.pdf.
- MET students are recommended to take the Mechanical Engineering specific exam. For a list of the subjects covered go to http://cdn3.ncees.co/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/FE-Mec-CBT-specs_with-ranges.pdf. You are allowed to take the Other Disciplines exam if you prefer, but MET students are typically most successful with the ME Exam. For a list of those subjects go to http://cdn4.ncees.co/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/FE-Other-CBT-specs_with-ranges.pdf.
- Split screen format - exam on one side, reference handbook on the other
- Reference Handbook and sample exams available through NCEES www.ncees.org at “Prepare for Your Exam” link http://ncees.org/exams/study-materials/
- The FE reference handbook will be available to you electronically during the exam. For a free pdf of this handbook please go to this site to download, http://ncees.org/exams/study-materials/download-fe-supplied-reference-handbook/. You can purchase a paper copy at the same place for $13.95.
- Sample exams are also available online at NCEES – 2.5 hours, online, $49.95
- Only certain calculators are allowed for the FE Exam please review the list at NCEES.org to be sure you are prepared
- You must take a copy of the results notification to the COE Dean’s Office, Roberts 212, as your proof of having taken the exam to earn your passing grade in EGEN 488.
- Exam results will be available within 7-10 days after the test is taken.
What should you do if you are ready to sign up?
- Go to the NCEES website www.ncees.org for details on the exam and registration
- Plan ahead …. Register well in advance so that you can get an exam appointment that fits your schedule
- Prepare for the exam
- Review the FE Reference Handbook http://ncees.org/exams/study-materials/download-fe-supplied-reference-handbook/
- Sample exams are available through NCEES http://ncees.org/exams/study-materials/
- ETME 401- an FE review class (1 credit) is offered each fall and spring semester for interested students in ME and MET
- Study guides are available for purchase online and at the MSU library
- Questions? See: Prof. Alan George, Prof. Keith Fisher, Prof. Laura Stanley, or Kathy Campbell