Starting January 2014 the Fundamentals of Engineering Exam format changes!
Registering for the Exam
- Register any time, up to one year in advance, for an exam appointment during the scheduled windows at any testing center – registration is available starting Nov. 4th
- You will choose a site and schedule a time when you register
- Cost will be $225.00 to register through NCEES
- More informationand registration go to: www.ncees.org
- You must register for EGEN 488 the same semester you take the exam. You should take the FE Exam (and EGEN 488) one of your last two semesters.
- If you are taking the FE during January, Februay, April or May register for EGEN 488 in Spring 2014 Semester
- If you are taking the FE during July, August, October or November register for EGEN 488 in Fall 2014 Semester
Exam Dates, Times, and Places
- It will now be taken on computer at any Pearson Vue Test Center – MSU currently is a Pearson Vue Test site with 10 stations in the MSU library basement, Roon 19,(other test centers are in Helena, Billings, Missoula, etc.)
- The MSU Test Center will be open Monday-Friday 8:30am-5:00pm
- The exam is available at any time during the 4 exam periods, or windows: Jan-Feb; April-May; July-August; October-November
- You can retake the exam up to 3 times in a 12 month period, but only once in the 2 month windows listed above
- Now 6 hours instead of 8 hours - 110 questions - with a scheduled 25 minute break in the middle, based on completion, not time
- No more common question morning session
- 7 free standing exams: Chemical, Civil, Elect and Comp, Environmental, Industrial, Mechanical, and Other
- Industrial Engineering students must take the Industrial Engineering specific exam. Click this link for subjects covered on the IE exam.
- Mechanical Engineering students must take the Mechanical Engineering specific exam. Click this link for subjects covered on the ME exam.
- MET students are recommended to the the Mechanical Engineering specific exam. Click this link for subjects covered on the ME exam. You are allowed to take the Other Disciplines exam if you prefer. Click this link for subjects covered on the Other Disciplines exam.
- Split screen format- exam on one side, reference handbook on the other
- Reference Handbook & sample exams are availble through NCEES at "Prepare for your Exam"
- Exam results will be available within 7-10 days after the test is taken. You must take a copy of the results notification to the COE Dean's Office, Roberts 212, as your proof of having taken the exam to earn your passing grade in EGEN 488.
What should you do if you are ready to sign up?
- Go to the NCEES website for details on the FE exam and registration.
- Plan ahead …. Register well in advance so that you can get an exam appointment that fits your schedule
- Prepare for the exam
- Check back here, as we will be adding information, updates, and resources periodically
- Questions? See: Prof. Alan George, Prof. Keith Fisher, Prof. Laura Stanley, or Kathy Campbell