Publications should be returned in two weeks as the library has a limited number of copies. If you find that two weeks is not enough time, contact LTAP and make arrangements for more time. Some publications are free of charge.
New publication additions are listed in each quarterly newsletter and below.
You can also access a publication immediately by clicking on the following link for Montana LTAP Publications List, upgraded on January 2015. There are "On-Line" url's for most of the publications to be accessed from the internet.
New Publications (Fall 2014)
- p-49.10:Guide for Materials Selection and Design for Metals Used in Contact with Copper-Treated Wood (USFS 2013)
This paper represents a compilation of research on the corrosion of metals in treated wood and is intended to explain why metals corrode in treated wood and give practical design recommendations. (11 pages)
- p-49.20: Corrosion of Fasteners in Wood Treated with Newer Wood Preservatives (USFS 2013)
This document complies recent research findings related to corrosion of metals in preservative treated wood into a single report on corrosion of metals in wood. The document was created to serve as a desk reference for engineers to aid in materials selection when building with treated wood. (64 pages)
- p-49.30: Educational Guide on the History of Covered Bridges in the United States (USFS Oct 2011)
This guide contains lesson plans for us by teachers of grade levels from kindergarten through high school senior on the history and preservation of covered bridges in the United States. Although the primary users will be history teachers, the topic of covered bridges has been covered broadly so that Mathematics, Science (Physics) and English teachers may find certain units useful in their classes. (127 pages plus interactive CD)
- p-49.40: Use of Laser Scanning Technology to Obtain As-Built Records of Historic Covered Bridges (USFS 2012)
This study was conducted to examine the use of laser scanning technologies for providing as-built records for historic covered timber bridges. These newer technologies need to be explored so they can provide as-built records at a faster rate and with more accuracy. (18 pages)
- p-49.50: Evaluating Naturally Durable Wood Species for Repair and Rehabilitation of Above-Ground Components of Covered Bridges (USFS 2013)
This report is intended to assist covered bridge owners in selecting systems that will protect covered bridges with the option of adding active alerts to proper authorities for the purpose of heightening security. (34 pages)
- p-49.60: SHSP Evaluation Process Model (FHWA March 2013)
This report serves as a guide for the use of these naturally durable wood species for rehabilitation of above-ground components of covered bridges and incorporates the results of field and laboratory tests into the final recommendations. (40 pages)
- p-977: Temporary Traffic Control for Building and Maintaining Single and Multi-Lane Roundabouts (ATSSA Jan 2013)
This document provides considerations and typical applications to assist field staff in setting up temporary traffic control for both new construction and maintenance activities. (36 pages)
- p-981: Nighttime Lighting Guidelines for Work Zones (ATSSA April 2013)
This document provides a procedure for designing a nighttime lighting system in work zones where no formal lighting plan exists. Engineers, designers, and contractor personnel can use this process without the need to be an expert in illumination. (20 pages)